Toxic shock syndrome is caused by a bacteria and it is treatable.
Call a doctor immediately if you have any toxic shock syndrome signs or symptoms listed below, especially if you've used a tampon recently, because toxic shock syndrome can quickly get worse and lead to death. Be sure to tell your doctor about your tampon use or other risk factors listed below.
A leading cause of toxic shock syndrome is tampon use. Women who use diaphragms and contraceptive sponges can also be susceptible to toxic shock syndrome.
Menstruating women can take steps to prevent toxic shock syndrome. Avoid super-absorbent tampons. Use the least absorbent tampon necessary. Avoid using tampons when your flow is light. Change tampons every four to eight hours. Alternate using tampons and using sanitary napkins.
Toxic shock syndrome can happen during or after a woman's period. Men, children, and non-menstruating women can also get it. Toxic shock syndrome may occur after having a baby, after having surgery, if you have a cut or burn on your skin, and during or after the flu or other viral infections.
Women who previously had toxic shock syndrome should not use tampons. These women and people who previously had serious staph or strep infections are at higher risk of getting toxic shock syndrome.
Watch for any of these signs and symptoms of toxic shock syndrome: